We believe these are the values of general practice:
- The registered list - individuals and ‘practice’ population.
- Expert generalist care of the whole patient.
- The therapeutic relationship with a consultation as the irreducible essence of delivery.
- Based on the bio-psycho-social care, not a disease-focused model.
- Advocacy and confidentiality.
- Safe, effective long term and preventative care by promoting access to relationship continuity, balanced with timely episodic care.
- Needs based, taking into account the wider determinants of health and the inverse care law, compared to wants.
Please email us if you would like to feed into our work making the case for these values to be at the centre of the new models of care being considered for London general practice.